OASISINET FILM AND BOOK CLUB

Feedback on www.oasisinet.com

Postby Poppy Wyatt » 17 Jul 2013, 17:44

I got an e reader as a present and it sucks. It doesn't work properly and I just end up buying real books instead.
Poppy Wyatt
Big Mouth

Postby James Lavelle » 17 Jul 2013, 20:05

Poppy Wyatt wrote:I got an e reader as a present and it sucks. It doesn't work properly and I just end up buying real books instead.

what make is it? I've got a kindle 5 and I got used to it in like 5 minutes though I still buy real books.
*drums*
James Lavelle
Headshrinker

Postby Poppy Wyatt » 17 Jul 2013, 22:25

James Lavelle wrote:
Poppy Wyatt wrote:I got an e reader as a present and it sucks. It doesn't work properly and I just end up buying real books instead.

what make is it? I've got a kindle 5 and I got used to it in like 5 minutes though I still buy real books.

It's a Kobo, from Indigo.

I think the kindle is the best e-reader though. :(
Poppy Wyatt
Big Mouth

Postby George Clooney » 23 Jul 2013, 18:38

Fever Dream by Ray Bradbury

Tis a scary story about a young boy who acquires a suspicious illness. The doc thinks it is Scarlett fever, but the young protagonist Charles thinks otherwise. Charles claims his whole body is being taken over by "microbes." He loses control of limbs and shtuff. The ending is crazy, dudes. Easy short read. Terrifying too.
George Clooney
Bonehead

Postby Lemmy Kilmister » 24 Jul 2013, 01:29

weird fish wrote:
James Lavelle wrote:Whatcha think of e-books y'all?
Just a few months back I refused them as the diabolical tool of capitalism and now I'm reading game of thrones on a kindle :|
It gives me the chance to read books I'd never ever pay for (for example celeb books) but I might buy the hard copy of a downloaded book if I reaaaaaaaaaaaalllly like it - maybe that will be the case with game of thrones - great book, I wanna see it on my shelf.

Please contribute.

I refused them and always will. I refuse to believe that one day the material book would become obsolete, it is too important to the actual story. The object itself carries too much history and meaning. If cultural objects slowly disappear, it means we have reached a sad era, boys. Frederic Beigbeder sums up my point of view on this. I shall roughly google translate:
''Books are paper tigers, teeth cardboard, tired beasts on the verge of being devoured. Why refrain from reading such an object? Fragile sheets, flammable, bound, printed electronics without batteries? You're obsolete, old book soon oh yellowed, dust nest, nightmare movers, retarder time factory silence. We must remember that the act was wonderful to browse in bookstores, strolling to the windows, to desire a book without getting it right away. A novel was deserved: as it was not available online, we demanded physical exertion. We had to leave home to go choose a place full of lonely dreamers, then queuing to buy it, force yourself to smile at strangers with the same disease, before transporting it in his hands or his pocket to his home, subway, or on the beach.''

Paper cuts.

Every true pimp has a kindle. "The thinking man's ipod" - Lemmy Kilmister, 2013
Lemmy Kilmister
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby Poppy Wyatt » 13 Sep 2013, 00:44

I got me a Barnes & Noble Nook. It's pretty awesome.
Poppy Wyatt
Big Mouth

Postby Mason_100 » 14 Sep 2013, 03:56

my kindle got fixed today :)
Mason_100
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Re: OASISINET FILM AND BOOK CLUB

Postby James Lavelle » 28 Nov 2015, 21:47

It's time to bring this wonderful thread back.
the hiding place for sharing thoughts on books n films.
*drums*
James Lavelle
Headshrinker

Postby James Lavelle » 11 Dec 2015, 19:06

Just finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. It was great. :D
*drums*
James Lavelle
Headshrinker

Postby excelgum » 11 Dec 2015, 21:39

I actually read a book a couple months ago (hooray!! yay I did it!! A whole book!!) and it was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn....and it is pretty much the most incredible book I've ever read and that's ok 'cause I rarely read books. Anyway mind = blown when I finished the book.
excelgum
Headshrinker

PreviousNext

Return to The Site