Oasis should do a 'Beatles'

Discuss the music of Oasis

Postby brightmeister » 02 Jan 2009, 19:36

joshhobbs wrote:
eviltimeban wrote:I was just thinking that that's what they should do - quit the touring and concentrate on albums. Problem is, Oasis are now becoming more of a live attraction than an albums-selling band. The Beatles had to quit touring cos live playing had nothing to do with their new music (Revolver era: strings, effects, backwards guitars etc), whereas Oasis is all about the live music, they are now probably a bigger worldwide concert draw than they were in their heyday. They can sell out places like Mexico, America... if they quit touring they'd lose a lot of their drive I think, as they all seem to like touring. Unlike the Beatles, who hated touring (as distinct from playing live).

I won't bother to see Oasis this tour, I can't bear Liam's live singing, but I do really like his studio singing. It still sounds good, even though it has been processed a lot. Its very double tracked. I'd like to hear a good honest "naked" Liam vocal, even over an acoustic guitar, to see how it holds up.

If I had the choice between live Oasis / album every 3 years or non-live Oasis / album every year, I'd pick the latter.

Search I'm Outta Time acoustic on youtube. There's one he did for a radio show i think. It's not brilliant, but it doesn't sound as bad as when he is screaming on stage.

or the demo, both performances are pretty much the same and liam sounds very good in both
brightmeister
Headshrinker

Postby brightmeister » 02 Jan 2009, 19:37

joshhobbs wrote:
eviltimeban wrote:I was just thinking that that's what they should do - quit the touring and concentrate on albums. Problem is, Oasis are now becoming more of a live attraction than an albums-selling band. The Beatles had to quit touring cos live playing had nothing to do with their new music (Revolver era: strings, effects, backwards guitars etc), whereas Oasis is all about the live music, they are now probably a bigger worldwide concert draw than they were in their heyday. They can sell out places like Mexico, America... if they quit touring they'd lose a lot of their drive I think, as they all seem to like touring. Unlike the Beatles, who hated touring (as distinct from playing live).

I won't bother to see Oasis this tour, I can't bear Liam's live singing, but I do really like his studio singing. It still sounds good, even though it has been processed a lot. Its very double tracked. I'd like to hear a good honest "naked" Liam vocal, even over an acoustic guitar, to see how it holds up.

If I had the choice between live Oasis / album every 3 years or non-live Oasis / album every year, I'd pick the latter.

Search I'm Outta Time acoustic on youtube. There's one he did for a radio show i think. It's not brilliant, but it doesn't sound as bad as when he is screaming on stage.

or the demo, both performances are pretty much the same and liam sounds very good in both
brightmeister
Headshrinker

Postby Guest » 02 Jan 2009, 19:44

John Martin Marr wrote:Yeap, one of them should die of cancer and another one get shot after they split up :d

I was just about to say the same thing! :lol:
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby Mason_100 » 02 Jan 2009, 20:35

Yes Oasis clearly have the ability to produce 5 albums in 5 years up to the standards of Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road.
Mason_100
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby smugoasisfan » 02 Jan 2009, 20:56

Mason_100 wrote:Yes Oasis clearly have the ability to produce 5 albums in 5 years up to the standards of Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road.
HEATHEN CHEMISTY, DBTT, AND DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
smugoasisfan
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby Brian_mc » 03 Jan 2009, 00:11

Unfortunatley in the music business right now, playing live is where the most money is made. And Noel (love him or hate him) loves the cash. I think it's more likely that they would release less and tour more.
Brian_mc
Headshrinker

Postby BerwickStreet » 03 Jan 2009, 01:31

Gallagher / Gallagher compositions? Not sure Liam would make it out alive. Would be great to see but far fetched imo.

*Kirsten
BerwickStreet
Bonehead

Postby chanels_son » 03 Jan 2009, 05:48

Agreed --Oasis needs to stop touring and put out an album every year or two. Gallagher/Gallagher and Gallagher/Archer/Bell/Gallagher and Bell/Archer are good ideas, if it works. But more importantly, WHAT THE GALLAGHER BROS NEED TO BE DOING IS:

stop allowing their council estate-bred air of cool indifference to stifle the immense potential that Oasis has, as they did on DOYS when Come On Its All Right was left unfinished even though it was going to be one of the album's highlights, with its "Are You Experienced-like backwards guitar parts" that Noel admitted in Mojo was a key to the vision (left undone in the classic "ah, f**k it, we'll nail it next time" spirit that Noel Gallagher fell victim to in 1994 when he was ready to put out DM until a member of the camp heroically said they had to get it right.)

The band are musically erudite enough, are blessed with enough brilliance, that with the added advantage of having the greatest frontman of the past 20 years, they guarantee the production of at least a couple of genuinely classic albums, IF ONLY THEY MAKE THAT THEIR GOAL. I hope that the accute sensitivity and love for the history of rock that each member shares, some say to an excessive degree, will focus their hearts on the goal of making the greatest albums they can make, works that rival their first albums in appealing to the Pantheon of Rock Immortality.

DOY falls short of the mark. A good album, but too contrived to be a classic. I know they have it in them to give us a run of pure genius if they actually set out to do it and didn't let ANYTHING get in their way. They managed to prevent drugs from ruining them, now they need to prevent laziness and nonchalance from doing the same.
chanels_son
Bonehead

Postby crashininuponawave » 03 Jan 2009, 11:03

smugoasisfan wrote:
Mason_100 wrote:Yes Oasis clearly have the ability to produce 5 albums in 5 years up to the standards of Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road.
HEATHEN CHEMISTY, DBTT, AND DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HC was awful yes, but DBTT and DOYS are both pretty damn good
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby musicmatty » 03 Jan 2009, 19:12

Some might say that Oasis have done the Beatles to death for 14 years now. As much as I like 'em an all, maybe it's time for them to find another band to inspire them?
musicmatty
Bonehead

PreviousNext

Return to The Music