oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Discuss the music of Oasis

Postby red_blue_grey » 02 Jan 2009, 08:56

wow. i joined up because ateaseweb bores me and i wanted to talk about my other favorite band. i walked into a hot debate.

but debate is good.

the press doesn't seem to want to hear debate. they just want to tell you that oasis sucks and have you agree with them. turn off your radio before you actually listen to oasis' new single because i guarantee that you'll hate it.

oasis can't win with the media, ever since the media decided be here now sucked oasis can't win.

when they try to do something new (like standing on the shoulder of giants) it gets lukewarm reviews and the press begs for a 'return to form'

oasis gives the press a return to form like don't believe the truth and the fans love it, its the biggest album since morning glory. but then theres this media concocted backlash and suddenly everyone hates the album because its the same tired act.

now again oasis tries something new and it gets a mixed or lukewarm response, the cycle starts again, i expect the next album to be a "return to form."

oasis just can't win with some people.

caboose: you can't really compare oasis and radioheads music. I love both bands equally, its not impossible even though you act like it is. I love almost everything thom yorke and the gallaghers have ever done.

but what you can compare is the response to dig out your soul and kid a. since caboose seems to love bringing kid a up so often.

caboose, what you do is unfair. you dominate the conversation with a bunch of 18 year olds who cant fight you because they arent old enough to remember what kid a did to music and to radioheads fans.

well im old enough to remember so you cant pull the wool over my eyes.

when kid a came out it wasn't revolutionary because jonny greenwood stopped playing the guitar and got behind a computer. the electronic blips and bleeps weren't revolutionary either. kid a was a revolution because radiohead set the critics and their own fans against one another. one camp totally embraced kid a and the new directions. the others hated the sound and called it crap.

dig out your soul has done the same thing essentially. it has come much later in oasis career and it isnt this genre redefining thing but thats not oasis goal. they arent going to reinvent the wheel. but as this forum makes obviously apparent dig out your soul has set oasis fans against one another. some feel betrayed others are embracing the new sound. and thats revolutionary.

caboose laughs at kids who say they love the old radiohead stuff and hate kid a and the new stuff. he says they dont have any patience or sensibility. well caboose is a hypocrite. caboose claims to be so openminded. caboose is enlightened because he sees and appreciates this revolutionary sound. but then he turns around and refuses to give dig out your soul a chance. it hasn't even been close to long enough for di out your soul to really form an identity. caboose is to oasis fans what his opinion is of people who only like the bends.

i dont think dig out your soul is even close to oasis best album it may even be worse than dont believe the truth but im going to give its identity time to develop. i do love the idea of dig out your soul. the idea that you set your fans opinions against one another that is the revolutionary thing to do. it took me a long time to appreciate the masterpiece that kid a is. i hated it until 2002. with enough time, dig out your soul may grow into something more profound.

caboose, i know its naive to say but in so many senses dig out your soul is oasis kid a. so tear me apart. but if you really gave dig out your soul a chance you should agree.
red_blue_grey
Bonehead

Postby crashininuponawave » 02 Jan 2009, 09:58

One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby smugoasisfan » 02 Jan 2009, 11:29

crashininuponawave wrote:One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)
"i do love the idea of dig out your soul. the idea that you set your fans opinions against one another that is the revolutionary thing to do."

OH YEAH
VERY INTELLIGENT
smugoasisfan
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby smugoasisfan » 02 Jan 2009, 11:29

crashininuponawave wrote:One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)
"i do love the idea of dig out your soul. the idea that you set your fans opinions against one another that is the revolutionary thing to do."

OH YEAH
VERY INTELLIGENT
smugoasisfan
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby crashininuponawave » 02 Jan 2009, 14:50

smugoasisfan wrote:

OH YEAH
VERY INTELLIGENT
Better than you 8)
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby Dr. Boogie » 02 Jan 2009, 15:54

smug has such great comebacks eh? What a genius. This is all said rather sarcastically.
Dr. Boogie
Big Mouth

Postby donogh » 02 Jan 2009, 16:03

I really do believe that dig out your soul is oasis' third best album!
donogh
Big Mouth

Postby caboose » 02 Jan 2009, 16:44

red_blue_grey wrote:wow. i joined up because ateaseweb bores me and i wanted to talk about my other favorite band. i walked into a hot debate.

but debate is good.

the press doesn't seem to want to hear debate. they just want to tell you that oasis sucks and have you agree with them. turn off your radio before you actually listen to oasis' new single because i guarantee that you'll hate it.

oasis can't win with the media, ever since the media decided be here now sucked oasis can't win.

when they try to do something new (like standing on the shoulder of giants) it gets lukewarm reviews and the press begs for a 'return to form'

oasis gives the press a return to form like don't believe the truth and the fans love it, its the biggest album since morning glory. but then theres this media concocted backlash and suddenly everyone hates the album because its the same tired act.

now again oasis tries something new and it gets a mixed or lukewarm response, the cycle starts again, i expect the next album to be a "return to form."

caboose: you can't really compare oasis and radioheads music. I love both bands equally, its not impossible even though you act like it is. I love almost everything thom yorke and the gallaghers have ever done.

but what you can compare is the response to dig out your soul and kid a. since caboose seems to love bringing kid a up so often.

caboose, what you do is unfair. you dominate the conversation with a bunch of 18 year olds who cant fight you because they arent old enough to remember what kid a did to music and to radioheads fans.

when kid a came out it wasn't revolutionary because jonny greenwood stopped playing the guitar and got behind a computer. the electronic blips and bleeps weren't revolutionary either. kid a was a revolution because radiohead set the critics and their own fans against one another. one camp totally embraced kid a and the new directions. the others hated the sound and called it crap.

dig out your soul has done the same thing essentially. it has come much later in oasis career and it isnt this genre redefining thing but thats not oasis goal. they arent going to reinvent the wheel. but as this forum makes obviously apparent dig out your soul has set oasis fans against one another. some feel betrayed others are embracing the new sound. and thats revolutionary.

caboose laughs at kids who say they love the old radiohead stuff and hate kid a and the new stuff. he says they dont have any patience or sensibility. well caboose is a hypocrite. caboose claims to be so openminded. caboose is enlightened because he sees and appreciates this revolutionary sound. but then he turns around and refuses to give dig out your soul a chance. it hasn't even been close to long enough for di out your soul to really form an identity. caboose is to oasis fans what his opinion is of people who only like the bends.

i dont think dig out your soul is even close to oasis best album it may even be worse than dont believe the truth but im going to give its identity time to develop. i do love the idea of dig out your soul. the idea that you set your fans opinions against one another that is the revolutionary thing to do. it took me a long time to appreciate the masterpiece that kid a is. i hated it until 2002. with enough time, dig out your soul may grow into something more profound.

caboose, i know its naive to say but in so many senses dig out your soul is oasis kid a. so tear me apart. but if you really gave dig out your soul a chance you should agree.

Whilst you've defended the album better than anyone else so far I, well I don't really take exception with your comments, but i guess... I have a few of my own things to say.

I agree with you on the cat and mouse game that the media has played with their response to oasis and how the band reacts to it. And thats why i don't think DOYS is all that revolutionary. You've kind of pointed out how unrevolutionary DOYS is in your own post. You pointed out that the next Oasis album will probably be a "return to form" type album. Oasis will withdraw back to their safety zone and make a bland boring album that everyone expects them to make.

kid a was revolutionary partly because of what you said, but also because Radiohead was like, "hey everybody this is our new sound, our new direction, this is the way we're going now either get on board or leave." Oasis seems to always maybe try to tweak one little thing, take some flack and go right back into their little safety zone. I guess only time will tell. We'd have to wait to see Oasis' next album to see if i'm right.

Also i definitely DO NOT think that DOYS will age as gracefully as Kid A did. DOYS is rather predictable. Whereas Kid A left a lot open to interpretation, and that escapist, minimalists and open-endedness to the music on Kid A is what made the music grow on you and made the album age well.
caboose
Headshrinker

Postby heavysoul » 02 Jan 2009, 17:12

caboose wrote:
red_blue_grey wrote:wow. i joined up because ateaseweb bores me and i wanted to talk about my other favorite band. i walked into a hot debate.

but debate is good.

Whilst you've defended the album better than anyone else so far I, well I don't really take exception with your comments, but i guess... I have a few of my own things to say.

I agree with you on the cat and mouse game that the media has played with their response to oasis and how the band reacts to it. And thats why i don't think DOYS is all that revolutionary. You've kind of pointed out how unrevolutionary DOYS is in your own post. You pointed out that the next Oasis album will probably be a "return to form" type album. Oasis will withdraw back to their safety zone and make a bland boring album that everyone expects them to make.

kid a was revolutionary partly because of what you said, but also because Radiohead was like, "hey everybody this is our new sound, our new direction, this is the way we're going now either get on board or leave." Oasis seems to always maybe try to tweak one little thing, take some flack and go right back into their little safety zone. I guess only time will tell. We'd have to wait to see Oasis' next album to see if i'm right.

Also i definitely DO NOT think that DOYS will age as gracefully as Kid A did. DOYS is rather predictable. Whereas Kid A left a lot open to interpretation, and that escapist, minimalists and open-endedness to the music on Kid A is what made the music grow on you and made the album age well.

Both interesting posts. But neither Kid A nor DOYS are revolutionary records. Neither changed the landscape of music making or music business. Do they challenge the listener? Each does to a certain extent. But that's not revolution... by definition. The old "this is our new record, get onboard or leave" view means little. If that's your definition of revolutionary, there is a musical revolution every 5-10 years... which would make revolution not all that special anyway. In terms of aging gracefully... no good music ages gracefully -it maintains its edge, regardless of how revolutionary it is.
heavysoul
Big Mouth

Postby red_blue_grey » 02 Jan 2009, 22:15

heavysoul wrote:Both interesting posts. But neither Kid A nor DOYS are revolutionary records. Neither changed the landscape of music making or music business. Do they challenge the listener? Each does to a certain extent. But that's not revolution... by definition. The old "this is our new record, get onboard or leave" view means little. If that's your definition of revolutionary, there is a musical revolution every 5-10 years... which would make revolution not all that special anyway. In terms of aging gracefully... no good music ages gracefully -it maintains its edge, regardless of how revolutionary it is.

i agree good music is timeless and eternally relevant.

i suppose we'll have to wait and see if dig out your soul has a timeless quality.
red_blue_grey
Bonehead

Next

Return to The Music