oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Discuss the music of Oasis

Postby the cage » 03 Jan 2009, 05:00

Why some Oasis' fans think that Dig Out Your Soul is 'revolutionary' or 'reinventing the wheel' is beyond me. I thought Noel was very clear from the start that he just wants to make a 'groovy' album with no hits (I'm wasn't surprised with the singles' performance). Sure it's different from their other albums, but what two Oasis albums are the same? I love Dig Out Your Soul, I think Oasis succeeded in whatever they're trying to do. Liam said it himself that there's a line, and they haven't got over it. Time will tell, but for me, Dig Out Your Soul is already a classic. 8)
the cage
Bonehead

Postby reality » 03 Jan 2009, 14:23

the cage wrote:Why some Oasis' fans think that Dig Out Your Soul is 'revolutionary' or 'reinventing the wheel' is beyond me. I thought Noel was very clear from the start that he just wants to make a 'groovy' album with no hits

I agree

That DOYS is considered radical by Oasis fans, just shows how musically conservative Oasis fans generally are and by extension says a lot about Oasis

It's the same old blokey, clumsy, exhortation as is Oasis' stock and trade

"Ain't got nothin' on me anymore, Ain't got nothin' on you"
"soldier on"
"Come on shake your rag doll baby"
"shine a light on your fire"
" gold and silver sunshine is rising up"
"come in, come out tonight"

anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Oasis need to write great music, then people will like it, whether it's new or otherwise. 'Shock' could have been a Definitly Maybe B side, but people liked it coz it was good, pity about the rest of the album.
reality
Bonehead

Postby ultraoptimizam » 03 Jan 2009, 14:48

DOYS is soooooo BAD :cry:
ultraoptimizam
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby HelterSkelter1980 » 03 Jan 2009, 15:56

I agree with reality, the cage and red_blue_grey. DOYS really is a great record and the reason why it has upset so many fans is because of it's untraditional Oasis sound, or at least to some extent. But that is exactly why I love DOYS. It's the most complete album in the sense of sound and I like to think of it as a conceptual album. I mean, if Sgt Peppers is a concept album, then DOYS is too! And I think it's great that Oasis don't write songs like they used too. Songs like Bag It Up, Waiting For The Rapture, To Be Where There's Life, Soldier On and Falling Down are all great songs wich don't follow the traditional Oasis songwriting schedule.

I hope Oasis continue to make experimental records without bending the Oasis sound too much. I don't want Oasis to make a Kid A kinda album, but I don't want them to make another Morning Glory either. A record like DOYS is the perfect mix and is everything SOTSOG tried to be.

PS!
Noel mentioned he wanted to make an album more like Neil Youngs Greendale where every song tells a story. Don't mind if they do :)
HelterSkelter1980
Bonehead

Postby crashininuponawave » 03 Jan 2009, 16:46

reality wrote:
the cage wrote:Why some Oasis' fans think that Dig Out Your Soul is 'revolutionary' or 'reinventing the wheel' is beyond me. I thought Noel was very clear from the start that he just wants to make a 'groovy' album with no hits

I agree

That DOYS is considered radical by Oasis fans, just shows how musically conservative Oasis fans generally are and by extension says a lot about Oasis

It's the same old blokey, clumsy, exhortation as is Oasis' stock and trade

"Ain't got nothin' on me anymore, Ain't got nothin' on you"
"soldier on"
"Come on shake your rag doll baby"
"shine a light on your fire"
" gold and silver sunshine is rising up"

"come in, come out tonight"

anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Oasis need to write great music, then people will like it, whether it's new or otherwise. 'Shock' could have been a Definitly Maybe B side, but people liked it coz it was good, pity about the rest of the album.

First point- I don't think anyone considers it to be revolutionary, just a big departure from their usual sound and fairly experimental, not with new sounds that haven't been done before but incorporating new elements into their songs THEY haven't used before. Those lyrics from bag it up were about an LSD trip, I'm sure they make sense in the context Noel wrote it in, chief dread will have the answer to that. Aint got nothin and soldier on are Liams' lyrics, what did you expect? :lol: I don't think Kid A is that much more impressive. I've critiqued it in a debate with you before so I won't bother repeating myself again because you know what I think. I think it's just the fact it says "radiohead" on the title is why so many people rave about it.
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby the cage » 03 Jan 2009, 17:27

reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Wht the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?
the cage
Bonehead

Postby The-Rain » 03 Jan 2009, 20:37

finallly people are talking sense on this thread . DOYS isnt revolutionary and its not the best oasis album but its still a great record and doesnt deserve the stick it gets. although i personally think its epic, but thats just my opinion
The-Rain
Bonehead

Postby JUST COOL » 03 Jan 2009, 20:40

the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Wht the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?

:shock:
JUST COOL
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby bla maestro302649 » 03 Jan 2009, 20:40

crashininuponawave wrote:One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)

Believe me, TS. Only this ass thinks that.
Everyone else hates you. You suck balls.
bla maestro302649
Bonehead

Postby crashininuponawave » 03 Jan 2009, 20:44

bla maestro wrote:
crashininuponawave wrote:One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)

Believe me, TS. Only this ass thinks that.
Everyone else hates you. You suck balls.
Who's TS? :?
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

PreviousNext

Return to The Music