oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Discuss the music of Oasis

Postby bla maestro302649 » 03 Jan 2009, 20:49

crashininuponawave wrote:
bla maestro wrote:
crashininuponawave wrote:One of the most open minded and intelligent posts I've read on this forum. We need more people like you. 8)

Believe me, TS. Only this ass thinks that.
Everyone else hates you. You suck balls.
Who's TS? :?

Thread starter :)
bla maestro302649
Bonehead

Postby red_blue_grey » 03 Jan 2009, 20:56

crashininuponawave wrote:
reality wrote:
the cage wrote:Why some Oasis' fans think that Dig Out Your Soul is 'revolutionary' or 'reinventing the wheel' is beyond me. I thought Noel was very clear from the start that he just wants to make a 'groovy' album with no hits

I agree

That DOYS is considered radical by Oasis fans, just shows how musically conservative Oasis fans generally are and by extension says a lot about Oasis

It's the same old blokey, clumsy, exhortation as is Oasis' stock and trade

"Ain't got nothin' on me anymore, Ain't got nothin' on you"
"soldier on"
"Come on shake your rag doll baby"
"shine a light on your fire"
" gold and silver sunshine is rising up"

"come in, come out tonight"

anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Oasis need to write great music, then people will like it, whether it's new or otherwise. 'Shock' could have been a Definitly Maybe B side, but people liked it coz it was good, pity about the rest of the album.

First point- I don't think anyone considers it to be revolutionary, just a big departure from their usual sound and fairly experimental, not with new sounds that haven't been done before but incorporating new elements into their songs THEY haven't used before. Those lyrics from bag it up were about an LSD trip, I'm sure they make sense in the context Noel wrote it in, chief dread will have the answer to that. Aint got nothin and soldier on are Liams' lyrics, what did you expect? :lol: I don't think Kid A is that much more impressive. I've critiqued it in a debate with you before so I won't bother repeating myself again because you know what I think. I think it's just the fact it says "radiohead" on the title is why so many people rave about it.

i suppose revolutionary was too strong a word to use. to better get at my meaning ill say that dig out your soul took a lot of oasis fans a little bit out of their comfort zone. maybe many fans think that morning glory should be remade over and over again.

what i was saying is that musically speaking. kid a is not that revolutionary of a record. it was different. and kid a deliberately took radiohead fans out of there comfort zone.

i dont know if dig out your soul was meant to deliberately take people out of their oasis comfort zone and alienate some fans. but dig out your soul certainly did do that whether by accident or design.
red_blue_grey
Bonehead

Postby crashininuponawave » 03 Jan 2009, 21:06

Oh and in terms of lyrics, Kid A's are nothing spectacular either (this is aimed at reality)

yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon
Everyone, everyone around here, everyone is so near, everyone has got fear
That there, that's not me, I go, I go where I please
The big fish eat the little ones
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star

Postby heavysoul » 03 Jan 2009, 21:12

the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Wht the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?

Well, it's not really fair to label The Masterplan an album. But I see your point... and it's a good one.

I dig Radiohead, but I don't often sit through a listening from the first track to last. I'm not sure I could without contemplating suicide.
heavysoul
Big Mouth

Postby James_McFezza » 03 Jan 2009, 21:33

I really dig DOYS, its a great record, it will age gracefully and more people will appreciate it and enjoy it more over time!
James_McFezza
Bonehead

Postby Glitch » 03 Jan 2009, 21:46

That DOYS is considered radical by Oasis fans, just shows how musically conservative Oasis fans generally are and by extension says a lot about Oasis.

I do not think you can summarise Oasis' fan base into a single unit like this. By doing so you not only ignore the varying individualities of millions of people, but you distort your own picture of Oasis fans and Oasis' music.
Glitch
Bonehead

Postby disconnected1976 » 03 Jan 2009, 22:50

The thing with Kid A is not that it's revolutionary because it uses bleeps and beats. Kid A is a great record because it's amazingly good. They had reached a dead end after OK Computer and they managed to get out of it by outstretching themselves and making different music that still sounded like great Radiohead music, with their own universe, their dark sense of humor, their distinctive sound... That's what was revolutionary about Kid A : it was something else BUT it was something even better than what was before. And they had the balls of just releasing it as it was, even though they had already stronger songs they ended up putting on Amnesiac (they had already played "easier" songs like Knives Out or Pyramid Song during their tour). But Kid A works as a sequence of songs, and it works perfectly, and that's what makes it great : it is great music.

I don't know if the same could be said about Oasis. Comparing both bands is really hard. Yet, they seem to have found some way of doing things differently. They step back and forth : SOTSOG was a bit of a radical departure, then HC was a step back, then DBTT and now DOYS are both interesting step forwards, but in another direction than the one that could have been followed with SOTSOG. DOYS is not revolutionary or radical, but it is not the usual Oasis album : they've obviously had a lot of fun playing around with song structures, doing stuff that's less song based and more groove based, using a lot of keyboards and that's great : I love the fact that TSOTL is driven by an organ riff, I don't think they've ever done that, or had melodica in a song (Soldier On), or not using any guitar (not mentioning piano ballads like Idler's Dream). I don't think DOYS is a masterpiece and I don't think I've enjoyed it as much as Kid A, which is one of the best records I've heard in the past 15 years, but it is an enjoyable record, it has some coherence that runs through, it sounds great, and it may not be the strongest set of songs they've ever released (could have been better with other songs apparently) but it works.
disconnected1976
Headshrinker

Postby paamcaat » 04 Jan 2009, 03:23

John Martin Marr wrote:
the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Wht the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?

:shock:

I think that's a valid question seeing how comparisons are being made. Where is Radiohead's The Masterplan? Radiohead has made some great tunes, Creep being one of my favorites, but they don't come close to Oasis in creating great tunes.
paamcaat
Headshrinker

Postby paamcaat » 04 Jan 2009, 03:27

heavysoul wrote:
the cage wrote:

Well, it's not really fair to label The Masterplan an album. But I see your point... and it's a good one.

I dig Radiohead, but I don't often sit through a listening from the first track to last. I'm not sure I could without contemplating suicide.

:lol:
paamcaat
Headshrinker

Postby paamcaat » 04 Jan 2009, 03:38

disconnected1976 wrote:The thing with Kid A is not that it's revolutionary because it uses bleeps and beats. Kid A is a great record because it's amazingly good. They had reached a dead end after OK Computer and they managed to get out of it by outstretching themselves and making different music that still sounded like great Radiohead music, with their own universe, their dark sense of humor, their distinctive sound... That's what was revolutionary about Kid A : it was something else BUT it was something even better than what was before. And they had the balls of just releasing it as it was, even though they had already stronger songs they ended up putting on Amnesiac (they had already played "easier" songs like Knives Out or Pyramid Song during their tour). But Kid A works as a sequence of songs, and it works perfectly, and that's what makes it great : it is great music.

I don't know if the same could be said about Oasis. Comparing both bands is really hard. Yet, they seem to have found some way of doing things differently. They step back and forth : SOTSOG was a bit of a radical departure, then HC was a step back, then DBTT and now DOYS are both interesting step forwards, but in another direction than the one that could have been followed with SOTSOG. DOYS is not revolutionary or radical, but it is not the usual Oasis album : they've obviously had a lot of fun playing around with song structures, doing stuff that's less song based and more groove based, using a lot of keyboards and that's great : I love the fact that TSOTL is driven by an organ riff, I don't think they've ever done that, or had melodica in a song (Soldier On), or not using any guitar (not mentioning piano ballads like Idler's Dream). I don't think DOYS is a masterpiece and I don't think I've enjoyed it as much as Kid A, which is one of the best records I've heard in the past 15 years, but it is an enjoyable record, it has some coherence that runs through, it sounds great, and it may not be the strongest set of songs they've ever released (could have been better with other songs apparently) but it works.

You make some good points but I think DOYS is a fantastic album. Although its a bit different, its got great sound as you yourself said...
paamcaat
Headshrinker

PreviousNext

Return to The Music