oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Discuss the music of Oasis

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby the cage » 04 Jan 2009, 04:15

paamcaat wrote:
John Martin Marr wrote:
the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Why the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?


:shock:


I think that's a valid question seeing how comparisons are being made. Where is Radiohead's The Masterplan? Radiohead has made some great tunes, Creep being one of my favorites, but they don't come close to Oasis in creating great tunes.

thank you. that's what i always ask radiohead fans when they compare with oasis unfavourably. if radiohead could compile a better b-sides collection than that then i might consider them as a superior band than oasis. 8)
plus, why would oasis do a Kid A? it's not their bag. but if we're talking about challenging fans and critics, oasis did it in 1997, BE HERE NOW! until now, fans are divided with that record. even Noel and Liam have differing opinions regarding that record. and it's my favourite oasis album btw - it's a classic! 8)
the cage
Bonehead
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:59

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby the cage » 04 Jan 2009, 04:21

heavysoul wrote:
the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Wht the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?


Well, it's not really fair to label The Masterplan an album. But I see your point... and it's a good one.

I dig Radiohead, but I don't often sit through a listening from the first track to last. I'm not sure I could without contemplating suicide.

i just said that cos s/he was comparing DOYS unfavourably with Kid A. and i can't see why. i'm tired of radiohead versus oasis thing ... r'head fans are being biased anyway. why don't they compare Pablo Honey with Definitely Maybe? :lol: or compile a better b-sides collection than The Masterplan 8)
the cage
Bonehead
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:59

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2009, 04:42

red_blue_grey wrote:wow. i joined up because ateaseweb bores me and i wanted to talk about my other favorite band. i walked into a hot debate.

but debate is good.

the press doesn't seem to want to hear debate. they just want to tell you that oasis sucks and have you agree with them. turn off your radio before you actually listen to oasis' new single because i guarantee that you'll hate it.

oasis can't win with the media, ever since the media decided be here now sucked oasis can't win.

when they try to do something new (like standing on the shoulder of giants) it gets lukewarm reviews and the press begs for a 'return to form'

oasis gives the press a return to form like don't believe the truth and the fans love it, its the biggest album since morning glory. but then theres this media concocted backlash and suddenly everyone hates the album because its the same tired act.

now again oasis tries something new and it gets a mixed or lukewarm response, the cycle starts again, i expect the next album to be a "return to form."

oasis just can't win with some people.

caboose: you can't really compare oasis and radioheads music. I love both bands equally, its not impossible even though you act like it is. I love almost everything thom yorke and the gallaghers have ever done.

but what you can compare is the response to dig out your soul and kid a. since caboose seems to love bringing kid a up so often.

caboose, what you do is unfair. you dominate the conversation with a bunch of 18 year olds who cant fight you because they arent old enough to remember what kid a did to music and to radioheads fans.

well im old enough to remember so you cant pull the wool over my eyes.

when kid a came out it wasn't revolutionary because jonny greenwood stopped playing the guitar and got behind a computer. the electronic blips and bleeps weren't revolutionary either. kid a was a revolution because radiohead set the critics and their own fans against one another. one camp totally embraced kid a and the new directions. the others hated the sound and called it crap.

dig out your soul has done the same thing essentially. it has come much later in oasis career and it isnt this genre redefining thing but thats not oasis goal. they arent going to reinvent the wheel. but as this forum makes obviously apparent dig out your soul has set oasis fans against one another. some feel betrayed others are embracing the new sound. and thats revolutionary.

caboose laughs at kids who say they love the old radiohead stuff and hate kid a and the new stuff. he says they dont have any patience or sensibility. well caboose is a hypocrite. caboose claims to be so openminded. caboose is enlightened because he sees and appreciates this revolutionary sound. but then he turns around and refuses to give dig out your soul a chance. it hasn't even been close to long enough for di out your soul to really form an identity. caboose is to oasis fans what his opinion is of people who only like the bends.

i dont think dig out your soul is even close to oasis best album it may even be worse than dont believe the truth but im going to give its identity time to develop. i do love the idea of dig out your soul. the idea that you set your fans opinions against one another that is the revolutionary thing to do. it took me a long time to appreciate the masterpiece that kid a is. i hated it until 2002. with enough time, dig out your soul may grow into something more profound.

caboose, i know its naive to say but in so many senses dig out your soul is oasis kid a. so tear me apart. but if you really gave dig out your soul a chance you should agree.




wow what a lot to read great!

your right in the fact of how different peoples opinions are on here, some of the die hard fans hate doys. but i think its good oasis experimented with different sounds and there's only a couple of weak songs on the album, after it their album and should embrace the music they love and it has pleased alot of people and they will always get criticism from someone but thats gud too cos they gotta have feedback whatever. as for comparing them to radiohead thats s**t man
Guest
Bigger Than The Beatles
 
Posts: 49427
Joined: 05 Aug 2008, 18:14

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby the cage » 04 Jan 2009, 04:51

lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:your right in the fact of how different peoples opinions are on here, some of the die hard fans hate doys. but i think its good oasis experimented with different sounds and there's only a couple of weak songs on the album, after it their album and should embrace the music they love and it has pleased alot of people and they will always get criticism from someone but thats gud too cos they gotta have feedback whatever. as for comparing them to radiohead thats s**t man

:)
the cage
Bonehead
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:59

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby disconnected1976 » 04 Jan 2009, 10:41

the cage wrote:
paamcaat wrote:
John Martin Marr wrote:
the cage wrote:
reality wrote:anyway, the big difference is that KID A is vastly superior, far more impressive record. That's why people loved it.

Why the comparison? Only Ryan Adams would think DOYS is Oasis' Kid A. f**k Kid A, what is Radiohead's The Masterplan (album) anyway?


:shock:


I think that's a valid question seeing how comparisons are being made. Where is Radiohead's The Masterplan? Radiohead has made some great tunes, Creep being one of my favorites, but they don't come close to Oasis in creating great tunes.

thank you. that's what i always ask radiohead fans when they compare with oasis unfavourably. if radiohead could compile a better b-sides collection than that then i might consider them as a superior band than oasis. 8)
plus, why would oasis do a Kid A? it's not their bag. but if we're talking about challenging fans and critics, oasis did it in 1997, BE HERE NOW! until now, fans are divided with that record. even Noel and Liam have differing opinions regarding that record. and it's my favourite oasis album btw - it's a classic! 8)


They could make a really good one with the Bends/OK Computer era b sides. They didn't make one because I think nearly all of their singles were released overseas. You have to remember The Masterplan's original goal was to provide a B side compilation for the countries where they had never released singles. It shouldn't have even come out in the UK and Europe.

Be Here Now is definitely different from Kid A. It didn't challenge critics and fans because it was different, it challenged them because it was completely f***ed up and no one dared to tell them. Still a lot of people love it, and that's their right. But there's absolutely no experimentation going on on Be Here Now, just arrogance and self indulgence. That's where the difference is. To me Kid A says "let's try to push things forward", while Be Here Now said "let's just put five solos on here, we can do that because we're Oasis and people will buy it anyway". Their Kid A, if there's one, was SOTSOG. SOTSOG was the one where Noel tried to redefine the sound of Oasis. And he almost succeeded, if he had been even more radical, he might have come up with 10 Go Let It Out or Gas Panic.
disconnected1976
Headshrinker
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: 27 Aug 2008, 18:21

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2009, 11:24

the cage wrote:
lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:your right in the fact of how different peoples opinions are on here, some of the die hard fans hate doys. but i think its good oasis experimented with different sounds and there's only a couple of weak songs on the album, after it their album and should embrace the music they love and it has pleased alot of people and they will always get criticism from someone but thats gud too cos they gotta have feedback whatever. as for comparing them to radiohead thats s**t man

:)


and they still at at it :lol:
Guest
Bigger Than The Beatles
 
Posts: 49427
Joined: 05 Aug 2008, 18:14

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby the cage » 04 Jan 2009, 13:05

lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:
the cage wrote:
lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:your right in the fact of how different peoples opinions are on here, some of the die hard fans hate doys. but i think its good oasis experimented with different sounds and there's only a couple of weak songs on the album, after it their album and should embrace the music they love and it has pleased alot of people and they will always get criticism from someone but thats gud too cos they gotta have feedback whatever. as for comparing them to radiohead thats s**t man

:)


and they still at at it :lol:

yeah, what's wrong with these people :)
the cage
Bonehead
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:59

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby Here Is No Why » 04 Jan 2009, 13:38

it's not fair to compare Radiohead to Oasis. Two completley different bands and sounds. Two completley different directions.
Here Is No Why
The Chief
 
Posts: 7911
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:09

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby disconnected1976 » 04 Jan 2009, 13:49

the cage wrote:
lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:
the cage wrote:
lucy in the sky with gems! wrote:your right in the fact of how different peoples opinions are on here, some of the die hard fans hate doys. but i think its good oasis experimented with different sounds and there's only a couple of weak songs on the album, after it their album and should embrace the music they love and it has pleased alot of people and they will always get criticism from someone but thats gud too cos they gotta have feedback whatever. as for comparing them to radiohead thats s**t man

:)


and they still at at it :lol:

yeah, what's wrong with these people :)


I don't know, maybe we just like music and talking about it...
disconnected1976
Headshrinker
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: 27 Aug 2008, 18:21

oasis aren't the best band ever. they aren't what the press

Postby crashininuponawave » 04 Jan 2009, 14:25

Here Is No Why wrote:it's not fair to compare Radiohead to Oasis. Two completley different bands and sounds. Two completley different directions.
Hit the nail on the head. 8)
crashininuponawave
Rock 'n' Roll Star
 
Posts: 3025
Joined: 13 Aug 2008, 10:59

PreviousNext

Return to The Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron