Looking Back at DBTT

Discuss the music of Oasis

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby Lennon2217 » 03 Jan 2009, 22:13

Let me start this off with saying that I really enjoy Don’t Believe The Truth, especially the first half of the album. When the tracklisting was first revealed in February 2005, I found it puzzling that “Stop The Clocks”, “I Want To Live In A Dream In My Record Machine”, “The Magic Can’t Be Right”, “Boy With The Blues” and “Lord Don’t Slow Me Down” were all absent.

Noel talked about all these tracks leading up to the recording of the record in 2004. I have to imagine that many of these were worked on with Death In Vegas but didn’t come out as Noel pictured them in his head. With the leaks of the Dave Sardy sessions back in May of this past year, we have now heard two of them, “Stop The Clocks” and “I Want To Live In A Dream In My Record Machine” in demo form. Prior to that we heard “Lord Don’t Slow Me Down” as part of the documentary of the same name and “Boy With The Blues” was eventually grouped with the Dig Our Your Soul bonus CD.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on a bit. Now that it is January 2009, I look back at DBTT and see how incredible it could have been with the additions of several tracks left over from the Dave Sardy LA sessions. The second half of the album would have been greatly strengthened.

I see the tracklisting breaking down like this:

1. Turn Up The Sun
2. Mucky Fingers
3. Lyla
4. Love Like A Bomb
5. The Importance Of Being Idle
6. Boy With The Blues
7. Guess God Thinks I’m Abel
8. Stop The Clocks
9. Lord Don’t Slow Me Down
10. Keep The Dream Alive
11. A Bell Will Ring
12. Let There Be Love

In my opinion, BWTB is a better track than TMOS, and that LDSMD is stronger than POTQ. Also I think that 2005 was the perfect time to unleash STC, don’t care which version they used (Noel or Liam on vox) but by the time it finally makes it on to an official release it will be 2010, almost 10 full years since it was written. That’s crazy. I know Radiohead did that with their track “Nude”, which was recorded during the Ok Computer and later Kid A sessions, finally surfaced on In Rainbows 10 years later.

I’m not sure which version of LDSMD I’d like on the album but I think I’d lean toward Noel’s. Such a good, bouncing rock tune. Glad it finally came out.
Lennon2217
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby The-Rain » 03 Jan 2009, 22:37

turn up the sun
lord dont slow me down (liam)
lyla
love like a bomb
importance of being idle
eyeball tickler
i wanna live in a dream, in my record machine
keep the dream alive
boy with the blues
a bell will ring
let there be love
can y see it now i can see it now

thats a killer album in my opinion
The-Rain
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby alicoe08 » 04 Jan 2009, 14:13

Lennon2217 wrote:Let me start this off with saying that I really enjoy Don’t Believe The Truth, especially the first half of the album. When the tracklisting was first revealed in February 2005, I found it puzzling that “Stop The Clocks”, “I Want To Live In A Dream In My Record Machine”, “The Magic Can’t Be Right”, “Boy With The Blues” and “Lord Don’t Slow Me Down” were all absent.

Noel talked about all these tracks leading up to the recording of the record in 2004. I have to imagine that many of these were worked on with Death In Vegas but didn’t come out as Noel pictured them in his head. With the leaks of the Dave Sardy sessions back in May of this past year, we have now heard two of them, “Stop The Clocks” and “I Want To Live In A Dream In My Record Machine” in demo form. Prior to that we heard “Lord Don’t Slow Me Down” as part of the documentary of the same name and “Boy With The Blues” was eventually grouped with the Dig Our Your Soul bonus CD.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on a bit. Now that it is January 2009, I look back at DBTT and see how incredible it could have been with the additions of several tracks left over from the Dave Sardy LA sessions. The second half of the album would have been greatly strengthened.

1. Turn Up The Sun
2. Mucky Fingers
3. Lyla
4. Love Like A Bomb
6. Boy With The Blues
8. Stop The Clocks
10. Keep The Dream Alive
11. A Bell Will Ring
12. Let There Be Love

In my opinion, BWTB is a better track than TMOS, and that LDSMD is stronger than POTQ. Also I think that 2005 was the perfect time to unleash STC, don’t care which version they used (Noel or Liam on vox) but by the time it finally makes it on to an official release it will be 2010, almost 10 full years since it was written. That’s crazy. I know Radiohead did that with their track “Nude”, which was recorded during the Ok Computer and later Kid A sessions, finally surfaced on In Rainbows 10 years later.

I’m not sure which version of LDSMD I’d like on the album but I think I’d lean toward Noel’s. Such a good, bouncing rock tune. Glad it finally came out.

i kinda agree wiv everything u say except, why on earth wud u not av the meanin of soul, its an amazing track one of my favourite songs. but also i read sumwhere the only reason LDSMD wasnt on the album is coz liam argued that there wud b to many noel sung songs if it wer included.
alicoe08
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby alicoe08 » 04 Jan 2009, 14:13

Lennon2217 wrote:Let me start this off with saying that I really enjoy Don’t Believe The Truth, especially the first half of the album. When the tracklisting was first revealed in February 2005, I found it puzzling that “Stop The Clocks”, “I Want To Live In A Dream In My Record Machine”, “The Magic Can’t Be Right”, “Boy With The Blues” and “Lord Don’t Slow Me Down” were all absent.

1. Turn Up The Sun
2. Mucky Fingers
3. Lyla
4. Love Like A Bomb
6. Boy With The Blues
8. Stop The Clocks
10. Keep The Dream Alive
11. A Bell Will Ring
12. Let There Be Love

i kinda agree wiv everything u say except, why on earth wud u not av the meanin of soul, its an amazing track one of my favourite songs. but also i read sumwhere the only reason LDSMD wasnt on the album is coz liam argued that there wud b to many noel sung songs if it wer included.
alicoe08
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby Lennon2217 » 04 Jan 2009, 14:27

The Meaning of Soul is an ok track. I don't think it is anything to foam at the mouth over. I'd rather an album have 11 excellent tracks with a nice flow to them than 12-13 with a clunker or two in there. TMOS would have been a very good b-side to Lyla along with Eyeball Tickler.

As far as Lord Don't Slow Me Down, the Liam version of this actually sounds good. I wonder how a proper studio polished version might sound. This would solve the problem of Noel singing too many songs. As time marches forward the songs Noel writes suites him better. Liam's vocal range keeps getting progressively worse. So bad that he can't even sing certain tunes live anymore (i.e. Some Might Say. This could be the reason Bag It Up and The Turning are nowhere to be found.

The whole point of this post was to illustrate that Oasis has the tunes, they just need to sometimes do a better job with track selection. DBTT could have been a solid album from start to finish. As it stands now, DBTT begins with a fantastic first half but momentum slows after track 7. Oasis chose to sit on STC, LDSMD, BWTB and countless others for no good reason.

LDSMD and BWTB got horrible treatment. A digital only release for the former and a bonus disc on the vinyl edition for the latter. That is a shame for a song that was planned to be a "Whatever" style EP back in the early summer of 2006.

Let's all hope Oasis does the right thing with album #8 and pick the very, absolute best 11-12 tracks, regardless of who wrote them. I have a feeling it would be very Noel heavy but who cares. He is the reason this band is what it is. After seeing what Noel can produce now in his early 40s (Bag It Up, The Turning, Waiting For The Rapture,Shock of the Lightning, Falling Down), I know he is still the legend we all know him to be.

Looking forward to another US spring time tour!
Lennon2217
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby alicoe08 » 04 Jan 2009, 14:30

Lennon2217 wrote:The Meaning of Soul is an ok track. I don't think it is anything to foam at the mouth over. I'd rather an album have 11 excellent tracks with a nice flow to them than 12-13 with a clunker or two in there. TMOS would have been a very good b-side to Lyla along with Eyeball Tickler.

As far as Lord Don't Slow Me Down, the Liam version of this actually sounds good. I wonder how a proper studio polished version might sound. This would solve the problem of Noel singing too many songs. As time marches forward the songs Noel writes suites him better. Liam's vocal range keeps getting progressively worse. So bad that he can't even sing certain tunes live anymore (i.e. Some Might Say. This could be the reason Bag It Up and The Turning are nowhere to be found.

The whole point of this post was to illustrate that Oasis has the tunes, they just need to sometimes do a better job with track selection. DBTT could have been a solid album from start to finish. As it stands now, DBTT begins with a fantastic first half but momentum slows after track 7. Oasis chose to sit on STC, LDSMD, BWTB and countless others for no good reason.

LDSMD and BWTB got horrible treatment. A digital only release for the former and a bonus disc on the vinyl edition for the latter. That is a shame for a song that was planned to be a "Whatever" style EP back in the early summer of 2006.

Let's all hope Oasis does the right thing with album #8 and pick the very, absolute best 11-12 tracks, regardless of who wrote them. I have a feeling it would be very Noel heavy but who cares. He is the reason this band is what it is. After seeing what Noel can produce now in his early 40s (Bag It Up, The Turning, Waiting For The Rapture,Shock of the Lightning, Falling Down), I know he is still the legend we all know him to be.

Looking forward to another US spring time tour!

u av some very good points, well argued to, it does seem a shame they dont use all songs they do. as u sed, but still TMOS is better than u give it credit for. :lol:
alicoe08
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby noel_gallagher2 » 04 Jan 2009, 14:42

:( I can't beleive no one likes Part Of The Queue.... I love that song... my favourite next to The Importance of Being Idle and Lyla!!! It's a tune!!
noel_gallagher2
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby Lennon2217 » 04 Jan 2009, 15:20

POTQ sounds like something Noel would put on his solo album. To be it doesn't sound like an Oasis song. LDSMD has excellent drumming and guitar parts throughout. I know one could easily say "Hey, LDSMD sounds like it could also be on a Noel solo album" which is a fine point but what if we make it sung by Liam! Now it is an absolute Oasis tune.

Like I said about TMOS, it would make a fantastic b-side.

Alicoe08....I don't dislike TMOS, I just feel if you had to pick between BWTB and TMOS to get the worser treatment, I'd have to side with TMOS. BWTB in my opinion is one of the strongest composed Liam tunes. It was almost a single as we all know. The flip side to all of this is maybe you are right. After all, TMOS was on DBTT and BWTB got lost in the cracks of between album layoffs.

Fun debate all around though.
Lennon2217
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby OgGeS » 04 Jan 2009, 17:27

Haha sounds like you've put a fair bit of thought into that mate, and by the looks of things the album would have been a lot stronger had it been done with those songs. I woulda loved to have seen 'Eyeball Tickler' on there too - what a tour that would have been with Liam performing the likes of Lyla, Boy With The Blues, Eyeball Tickler, Lord Don't Slow Me Down and Meaning Of Soul - lol absolute belting but I imagine he'd be quite f**ked come the end of the night. Also, what's this "The Magic Can't Be Right" you talk of? I ain't heard of that before =/ Any link or sound clip to it?
OgGeS
Bonehead

Looking Back at DBTT

Postby Lennon2217 » 04 Jan 2009, 20:50

"The Magic Can't Be Right" was a song Noel said he wrote in 2002. He mentioned it countless times during radio interviews in Germany and Japan in 2002. He again mentioned the track during a Q & A in Seattle in 2005. Noel described it as having a Rolling Stones feel to it. I definitely thought it was going to be on Don't Believe The Truth but obviously it never appeared. I also have a hunch it was one of the 7 Noel songs Oasis abandoned during the Dig Out Your Soul sessions when he wrote TSOTL, FD, WFTR, BIU, TT.
Lennon2217
Bonehead

Next

Return to The Music