Let's face it, if Oasis released ANYTHING people would compl

Discuss the music of Oasis

Postby smugoasisfan » 07 Jan 2009, 05:41

eviltimeban wrote:Esp the people here. I guess its true, you can't please everyone. I mean, they could literally release another DM and people would go "oh I don't like it, its no good, its not a step forward". Or they could release an album of futuristic disco funk and you can guess what the reaction would be. Or release an album of retro guitar rock with vague psychedelic undertones (which they did) and people would slate it.

So what does everyone want them to do? Let's design the new Oasis album! Everyone who isn't happy post what you want from them. Acoustic songs? Dance beats? Less Andy and Gem? More Liam? Less Noel?

I for one take them for what they are, a traditional guitar band. When I want futuristic disco funk I'll find it elsewhere.
MAYBE THIS IS WHY THEY SHOULD QUIT
smugoasisfan
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby paamcaat » 07 Jan 2009, 05:41

jonlevi wrote:
eviltimeban wrote:Esp the people here. I guess its true, you can't please everyone. I mean, they could literally release another DM and people would go "oh I don't like it, its no good, its not a step forward". Or they could release an album of futuristic disco funk and you can guess what the reaction would be. Or release an album of retro guitar rock with vague psychedelic undertones (which they did) and people would slate it.

So what does everyone want them to do? Let's design the new Oasis album! Everyone who isn't happy post what you want from them. Acoustic songs? Dance beats? Less Andy and Gem? More Liam? Less Noel?

I for one take them for what they are, a traditional guitar band. When I want futuristic disco funk I'll find it elsewhere.

I want a Heaven & Hell type in-between album. B-Sides, A-Sides & should've been A-Sides etc (That werent on Masterplan or Stop The Clocks).

eg. On Heaven - Let's All Make Believe, Idler's Dream etc etc
On Hell - The Shock Of The Lightening, Full On etc etc

That's what I want 8)

I'll go with that:wink: 8)
paamcaat
Headshrinker

Postby rawkstarr101 » 07 Jan 2009, 05:44

IT's true, you can't please everyone. However, I definitely think this was a step forward for them. I feel the progression has been pretty natural if you think about the albums in order. As far as songwriting goes, who cares if Noel is thinking about a certain vibe he wants. It's their album. They can write it however they want to. I also agree that it shouldn't be about limiting Liam, Gem and Andy's songs. If they write good tunes give them a chance. If they don't, we can usually rely on Noel to pick up the slack. I'm all for them continuing on, even if another Masterplan is what's next.
rawkstarr101
Headshrinker

Postby paamcaat » 07 Jan 2009, 05:54

regardless of what anyone on the boards think of Oasis, the last thing the band should do is take advice about what direction to go in from us, some more than others if you get me:|

I think they're great by the way.
paamcaat
Headshrinker

Postby soulshine » 07 Jan 2009, 10:22

supernovareign wrote:Yeah. except DOYS really is a step back.
so make your "great" music and step forward.
soulshine
Headshrinker

Postby HelterSkelter1980 » 07 Jan 2009, 11:04

Dr. Boogie wrote: DOYS is a step forward as far as I am concerned. As to letting Andy and Gem have only one song per album, Whoever writes the best songs should have them put on the album. If Liam all of a sudden writes 10 top tunes, use all of those. [...] TBWTL should be the fourth single. Also, Oasis should not quit, idiots who do not like them anymore should stay off this site.

Agreed.
HelterSkelter1980
Bonehead

Postby HelterSkelter1980 » 07 Jan 2009, 11:07

rawkstarr101 wrote:IT's true, you can't please everyone. However, I definitely think this was a step forward for them. I feel the progression has been pretty natural if you think about the albums in order. As far as songwriting goes, who cares if Noel is thinking about a certain vibe he wants. It's their album. They can write it however they want to. I also agree that it shouldn't be about limiting Liam, Gem and Andy's songs. If they write good tunes give them a chance. If they don't, we can usually rely on Noel to pick up the slack. I'm all for them continuing on, even if another Masterplan is what's next.

Also agree :)
HelterSkelter1980
Bonehead

Postby eviltimeban » 07 Jan 2009, 11:16

Good to see a decent thread developing here. My own personal preference would be for Oasis to pretty much go along as they are. I really like DOYS, got excited by the release build up, enjoy the listening experience, and think as an album "package" its a winner. And I am impressed with Liam's songwriting. I'm a songwriter myself so I know what its like to start off, how easy it is to fall into traps etc. I can play lots of instuments so can get my ideas across, whereas Liam is restricted to basic guitar playing. Liam takes a pretty individualistic approach and that shows on his songs. His are often my favourites on the album.

What I would like to see develop is sonic textures - layers of sound. I feel that when they strip it back it doesn't really work, the power is gone, like with some of the songs on DBTT, and it highlights the shortcomings too much. When they blast it out or make it sound interesting, then you forget about a stolen riff here or a pinched melody there. It all adds up to one enjoyable stew. After all, isn't that what was exciting about Oasis in the first place?

For the next album they should build on DOYS and develop some of the sonics a bit, use the studio a bit more as an instrument in itself, and not be worrying about how to play them live. As the set lists have shown the greatest hits are the ones that keep the shows going, so let's see some real studio developments. They should keep working with Dave Sardy as a producer (even though I had my doubts about him as DBTT sounds terrible - DOYS at least sounds warm) as he could be vital to helping them expand their range.

But I don't want them to become a futuristic disco funk band either - Oasis are Oasis, but they are capable of being a bit more clever and less bogged down in the history of music, and trying to replicate it. Noel needs to become a less self-conscious songwriter; less of the "this is my Velvet Underground song" and "this is my Pretty Things song" and just do the songs as they come out. That's where Liam succeeds I think.

And I think I am one of the few real fans of Soldier On here, I think its a great album closer, has a dub reggae feel with the melodica in the outro and is the kind of trancey loopy thing I like to hear. Truely psyched out then.
eviltimeban
Bonehead

Previous

Return to The Music