About Radiohead and criticism in general

Discuss the band

Postby smugoasisfan » 03 Mar 2011, 15:36

IT'S TRUE
ANY RANDOM PERSON HERE COULD LIST 3-5 RADIOHEAD ALBUMS EASILY, AND ALSO A HANDFUL OF SONGS

IF YOU ASKED THE AVERAGE PERSON ABOUT OASIS HERE THEY WOULDN'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, OR IF THEY'RE IN THEIR 30'S THEY MIGHT REMEMBER THEM AS THAT BAND WHO DID WONDERWALL
smugoasisfan
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby boobaloo » 03 Mar 2011, 18:01

Success is measured by sales isn't it? So Oasis win. But success and how good a band are, are two completely different thing
boobaloo
R'Kid

Postby Greg House » 03 Mar 2011, 22:36

boobaloo wrote:Success is measured by sales isn't it? So Oasis win. But success and how good a band are, are two completely different thing

Depends what they we're trying to achieve. If Beady Eye were trying to make generic, horse s**t and pass it off as music in order to pay the bills, then they've been very successful.
Greg House
R'Kid

Postby heyscot » 03 Mar 2011, 23:49

Esteemed Internet Colleagues:

I guess I back off of part of my original statement. Music is an art form. The beauty of it is in the ear of the listener. And album sales really aren't a good indicator of how good a band is, because "good" is subjective, right? So Mariah Carey has sold hundreds of millions of albums--does that make her better than Oasis?

And really, who gives a s**t? Here you have all of these artists, whether it's Radiohead, or Oasis, or Phil Collins, or whatever, and by and large I don't see the point of criticizing another band's music and being obnoxious unless your point is to be tagged as a d**k. Why does Liam Gallagher, who arguably hasn't had a popular song in a good long while, feel the need to criticize anyone? Did Thom Yorke piss on his face? Did Phil Collins have sex with one of his ex-wives? It just seems completely childish and sad. Just shut the f**k up and make your music, you're not doing anything productive by picking a fight.

S.
heyscot
Bonehead

Postby will_law25 » 04 Mar 2011, 14:28

heyscot wrote:Esteemed Internet Colleagues:

I guess I back off of part of my original statement. Music is an art form. The beauty of it is in the ear of the listener. And album sales really aren't a good indicator of how good a band is, because "good" is subjective, right? So Mariah Carey has sold hundreds of millions of albums--does that make her better than Oasis?

And really, who gives a s**t? Here you have all of these artists, whether it's Radiohead, or Oasis, or Phil Collins, or whatever, and by and large I don't see the point of criticizing another band's music and being obnoxious unless your point is to be tagged as a d**k. Why does Liam Gallagher, who arguably hasn't had a popular song in a good long while, feel the need to criticize anyone? Did Thom Yorke piss on his face? Did Phil Collins have sex with one of his ex-wives? It just seems completely childish and sad. Just shut the f**k up and make your music, you're not doing anything productive by picking a fight.

S.

Liam doesn't come on this forum, by the way.
will_law25
Bonehead

Previous

Return to The Band