No votes
NO
No votes

Total votes : 0

should i get a bigsby for this guitar?

Postby SuperNovaMike » 10 Sep 2009, 23:36

Rfender wrote:
dannny452 wrote:
SuperNovaMike wrote:Yeah, I basically already stated all of these reasons why this should not be done, a while ago in the post above somewhere. :|

And there was me thinking this was a forum for discussion. The OP was asking for opinions.

*Makes note to self* 'Dont ever answer a guitar related question, it might hurt Mike's toes'.

You seem to know a fair bit Mike, but from some of your 'expert answers', I can tell there is quite a bit you don't know about. I just want these kids to know what they're talking about. You do tend to bounce around this place like you're the internet embodyment of JR.

I don't claim to know it all, far from it, but I admit that. However, I do know guitars so if there is ever a question I can answer, I will do; with your permission of course.:roll:

Does JR mean Japanese Railways?

Joey Ramone??
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby Rfender » 11 Sep 2009, 06:05

SuperNovaMike wrote:
Rfender wrote:
dannny452 wrote:
SuperNovaMike wrote:Yeah, I basically already stated all of these reasons why this should not be done, a while ago in the post above somewhere. :|

And there was me thinking this was a forum for discussion. The OP was asking for opinions.

*Makes note to self* 'Dont ever answer a guitar related question, it might hurt Mike's toes'.

You seem to know a fair bit Mike, but from some of your 'expert answers', I can tell there is quite a bit you don't know about. I just want these kids to know what they're talking about. You do tend to bounce around this place like you're the internet embodyment of JR.

I don't claim to know it all, far from it, but I admit that. However, I do know guitars so if there is ever a question I can answer, I will do; with your permission of course.:roll:

Does JR mean Japanese Railways?

Joey Ramone??

Jason Rhoads?? Naaaah
Rfender
Bonehead

Postby jordiegallagher » 11 Sep 2009, 10:08

he actually meant J.K ROWLING
jordiegallagher
Headshrinker

Postby SuperNovaMike » 11 Sep 2009, 22:30

Johnny Rotten?? Good god I hope not.
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby Rfender » 12 Sep 2009, 12:48

JoRdie? maybe...
Rfender
Bonehead

Postby SuperNovaMike » 13 Sep 2009, 04:03

To give everyone a general idea of how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to put on a Bigsby properly, I asked a guy if he could tell me the whole process of installing one and he was kind enough to write me a detailed description and provided several pics too (I tried to copy and paste the whole thing, but the pics don't copy with the text for some reason. I can post them separately if someone wants.)Anyway, he put a Bigsby on his Les Paul Studio, so this was much easier than installing one a semi hollow or hollow body. Here is what he wrote to me :

"I think that's about all the pics.. but you can see the process pretty clearly.
remove tailpiece. remove bridge if replacing it.. put in new bridge * no need to replace bridge bushings *
tape top of guitar.. place bigsby on tape it down.. run single kite string from low e tuner to high e tuner via the bigsby..
not shown but you can run it from the low e peg on the bigs to the high e peg then back to the tuner.
tighten as much as you can without lifting the bigs up.
align bigs.
mark holes on tape.

to pull bushings.. go to Ace hardware.. get a bolt that's longer than the bushing is deep..
it's hollow.. you screw in the bolt. it hits bottom.. then as you tighten further it pushes the bushing up and out.
kinda scary!
I tried a couple of ways but that was the easiest.

cut dowel to correct size.. no need to glue if you do it nice.. it'll be plenty tight.
one thing.. make a smaller one.. that way it will come out.. you want it to come out at first so you can get the depth correct..
IOW if you cut a tight fitting one. how you gonna get it out if it's too tall or too short?
a smaller piece not fitting tightly falls out.. you check height that way.
if you need to file a bit off the top of the piece you put it.. since it's hard to guess at the exact shape of the bottom of the hole..
mask around it and file or sand carefully..it works.

holes are marked on the masking tape.
not shown.. masking tape covers the bottom of the guitar.. as the strap peg hole does not line up with the bigsby center hole.
it also takes three screws, not one.

be real patient about that.. be real sure you have it lined up well..
in fact, you can get a little bit of wiggle room by doing this:
center the big as well as you can.. mark the center hole... remove the bigs..
using your hands for a drill drill a small hole where the center hole is.. and then use a small screw to hold the bigs..
this helps you get it lined up just right and if you're wrong.. big deal! the hole is too small to matter or interfere!
just move it again.. put a couple of toothpicks in there with some white glue let dry and repeat until it's right.

only took me once, but that extra little attention can mean a lot of effort saved!

your first real hole is still done by hand. through the masking tape always. that way it wont chip the finish around the hole.
sure it's covered, but why be sloppy?
once the center hole is in.. masking tape still on everywhere..
tighten in the strap button.. I forget you may have to mess with that.. ask if you do! I'll remember when you tell me what's goofy.
gotta have the right size screw and get the button on top of the bigs I think it was.

then redo the kit string bit. this time getting it tight as you want.. without breaking the string.. kite string takes a lot of tension so it's very accurate.

NOTE
low e and high e are different thicknesses. it doesn't hurt to notice this as the kit string will line up fine but then the thicker and thinner strings
are not so good.
so if you want to.. use the kite string in this step from A to B.. with a real low and high E string mounted..
they don't have to be real tight but you'll see that it makes a small difference..
KEEP that in mind as you do the other steps. you want those strings right over the pup poles and lined up the neck well, eh?

remark your holes.. they'll probably be off a bit from what you first marked. so have two different colored pens or whatever.
stage one color, stage two color. *S*

while the bigs is on.. start your holes.. again by hand.. no drill... again through the masking tape..
always leave the masking tape on until you have to remove it for final install.

You've gotta have those bigs string pegs compromised to the bridge saddle spacing.. eh? they aren't the same..
so expect that it will not be a perfect straight line on the strings. it'll be fine!

finish your holes.. again, I did it by hand. put some masking tape on your fingers or some kind of glove or you'll get a blister.
the drill bit edges are sharp so.. don't wear your skin out.

fit your screws in all the holes.. tape on!.. and not all the way.. just get the feel and a good 'thread' going in the wood.

take all that tape off and install your bigsby.

I think that's all.. have to have one in front of me to be sure.. but feel free to ask again if you hit any kind of snag.

on the bigs.. where it touches the guitar there's no harm at all in applying some thing felt.. you can get thin felt in a couple of places..
sewing shops.... your uncles pool table..
cut smaller than the area they are fit beneath and you don't need to glue.. helps keep the finish from getting scratched.
doesn't show but hey. why be sloppy?"

:shock:

Anyone still wanna try to put one on their guitar now?
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Previous

Return to The Gear