YES
No votes
NO
No votes

Total votes : 0

should i get a bigsby for this guitar?

Postby SuperNovaMike » 30 Jul 2009, 22:21

Rfender wrote:
SuperNovaMike wrote:You'll have to do some work if you do. You will have to fill in the holes where the studs were for the stop tailpiece. Then sand over it and somehow try to make the finish look decent after you do all of this. I wouldn't bother. If it were a Les Paul, I would say yes, because you wouldn't be able to see where the stop tailpiece used to be because the area between the bridge and the end of the guitar is much smaller on a Les Paul than on a Semi-hollow body. If you could somehow get it put on to where you couldn't see where the studs used to be (which I doubt you can), You would probably end up spending as much money on parts and labor as you did on the guitar.

Indeed , you will also need a new bridge otherwise this guitar model who keep going out of tune as soon you hit the bigsby. Thats why i dont have a bigsby on my sheraton yet , mainly because of the stoptail piece.

Bigsby on a Les Paul looks horrible though ;)

I think a gold one looks good on a LP custom :)
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby clapton 94 » 02 Aug 2009, 21:11

dunno if ya do, dont wobble it too much or it ill go out of tune quicker, just small vibrato
clapton 94
Bonehead

Postby dannny452 » 30 Aug 2009, 23:39

If you need the function that a Bigsby offers, then yes. If you want one because Noel has one, so it must be cool, then no.

A well installed and set up Bigsby is a wonderful thing, but please unless you know exactly what you are doing, get a pro tech to install it for you. There is a good chance of severely messing up your pride and joy if you don't do it correctly.
dannny452
Bonehead

Postby TheFreelancer » 03 Sep 2009, 05:22

I wouldn't put it on an Epiphone. The amount of money you'd spend on buying a bigsby, and getting it installed by a professional (don't try to do it yourself) would not be worth the investment into it.

I have an Epiphone, they're great guitars, but you'd be save your money now and get a Gibson or something else of higher quality with a Bigsby factory installed.
TheFreelancer
Bonehead

Postby SuperNovaMike » 03 Sep 2009, 08:13

Yeah, I basically already stated all of these reasons why this should not be done, a while ago in the post above somewhere. :|
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby aldi94 » 03 Sep 2009, 09:51

by the time its been done professionally and you end up disappointed with it, it will go out of tune easily and cost a packet you could have saved up and bought a guitar with on eon it already
aldi94
Big Mouth

Postby dannny452 » 08 Sep 2009, 21:28

SuperNovaMike wrote:Yeah, I basically already stated all of these reasons why this should not be done, a while ago in the post above somewhere. :|

And there was me thinking this was a forum for discussion. The OP was asking for opinions.

*Makes note to self* 'Dont ever answer a guitar related question, it might hurt Mike's toes'.

You seem to know a fair bit Mike, but from some of your 'expert answers', I can tell there is quite a bit you don't know about. I just want these kids to know what they're talking about. You do tend to bounce around this place like you're the internet embodyment of JR.

I don't claim to know it all, far from it, but I admit that. However, I do know guitars so if there is ever a question I can answer, I will do; with your permission of course.:roll:
dannny452
Bonehead

Postby dannny452 » 08 Sep 2009, 21:34

betterz wrote:naaaaa, no point getting one on a epiphone,

do what i did, get it on a gibson es 345 cherry,

oh wait it comes with one :d :d

What a ridiculous reply. Instead of paying around £200 to get the bigsby and have it installed, spend a couple of grand on a new guitar. Brilliant.

Also, why is there no point getting one of an Epi? Guitar snobbery in action? There is nothing wrong with a well set up Epi. One thing I've realised the hard way is that a Gibson costing four or five times the price of an Epi is not often four or five times the guitar.
dannny452
Bonehead

Postby SuperNovaMike » 10 Sep 2009, 16:51

dannny452 wrote:
SuperNovaMike wrote:Yeah, I basically already stated all of these reasons why this should not be done, a while ago in the post above somewhere. :|

And there was me thinking this was a forum for discussion. The OP was asking for opinions.

*Makes note to self* 'Dont ever answer a guitar related question, it might hurt Mike's toes'.

You seem to know a fair bit Mike, but from some of your 'expert answers', I can tell there is quite a bit you don't know about. I just want these kids to know what they're talking about. You do tend to bounce around this place like you're the internet embodyment of JR.

I don't claim to know it all, far from it, but I admit that. However, I do know guitars so if there is ever a question I can answer, I will do; with your permission of course.:roll:

:lol:
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby Rfender » 10 Sep 2009, 20:17

dannny452 wrote:

Does JR mean Japanese Railways?
Rfender
Bonehead

PreviousNext

Return to The Gear