BOUGHT AN EPIPHONE RIVIERA....BUT!!!!!!!

Discuss the band's gear

Postby chewy515 » 29 Sep 2009, 17:40

if it was a sheraton or a dot id change them but ive heard the riviera pups are great.

just play it and if you like it, keep them!
chewy515
Bonehead

Postby stevo-smfc@hotmail.com » 29 Sep 2009, 19:09

I do liek them,but the whole reason for me getting a Rviera was to try and get that Noel 90's sound.

ala Maine Road,Knebworth etc
stevo-smfc@hotmail.com
Big Mouth

Postby jordiegallagher » 29 Sep 2009, 19:16

i have an epiphone riviera with full size humbuckers
there amazing but the pickup selector went on me mind you its done well for 13 years. amazing guitar
jordiegallagher
Headshrinker

Postby AldoMcD1 » 30 Sep 2009, 19:12

stevo-smfc@hotmail.com wrote:I do liek them,but the whole reason for me getting a Rviera was to try and get that Noel 90's sound.

He used an Epiphone Sheraton for those gigs.
AldoMcD1
Bonehead

Postby Rfender » 01 Oct 2009, 15:04

AldoMcD1 wrote:
stevo-smfc@hotmail.com wrote:I do liek them,but the whole reason for me getting a Rviera was to try and get that Noel 90's sound.

He used an Epiphone Sheraton for those gigs.

Indeed. The unionjack was an Sheraton with a frequensator tailpiece and at knebworth he used an sunburst sheraton.

He used an Epiphone Riviera at Earls Court also on maine road dvd and at live by the sea.
Rfender
Bonehead

Postby stevo-smfc@hotmail.com » 01 Oct 2009, 17:55

yes,but the Sheraton has mini humbuckers.
stevo-smfc@hotmail.com
Big Mouth

Postby clapton 94 » 01 Oct 2009, 18:33

stevo-smfc@hotmail.com wrote:yes,but the Sheraton has mini humbuckers.

then why didnt u buy the sheraton then dumass if u wanted the mini humbuckers????????????
clapton 94
Bonehead

Postby Rfender » 01 Oct 2009, 18:56

Rapture 94 wrote:
stevo-smfc@hotmail.com wrote:yes,but the Sheraton has mini humbuckers.

then why didnt u buy the sheraton then dumass if u wanted the mini humbuckers????????????

Sheraton also has normal sized stock pick ups unless you wanna pay a f**king fortune on a vintage one , dumbass.
Rfender
Bonehead

Postby AldoMcD1 » 01 Oct 2009, 19:48

The original Sheratons (Sheraton I) had a frequensator tailpiece with mini-humbuckers.
The newer version (Sheraton II) was later introduced with full size humbuckers & a stop-bar tailpiece.

There were some 60's Japanese versions which had a frequensator tailpiece & full-size humbuckers (G-Mex gig on Be here Now Tour + Knebworth).

With regards to the Riviera:
There were two models with a frequensator tailpiece (1 with mini-humbuckers, 1 with full size humbuckers).
I've seen a Riviera with full size humbuckers & a stop-bar tailpiece (Like RFender said, as used by Noel at Earl's Court & on Live By The Sea DVD.)
I've also seen 12-string Riviera's with a trapeze tailpiece (Mini-humbucker & full size humbucker versions).

Have a read through the Oasis gear guide:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/news/news ... ws_id/2472

Here's an extract:
Some might say it's a Epiphone Riviera, but they are wrong...the headstock gives the clue: it's a 60's Epiphone Sheraton alright. Unlike the new Sheratons, the 60s version looked very similar to the 60's (and to the most recent) Riviera, as both featured frequensator tailpiece and mini-humbuckers. It was a present from then girlfriend Meg Matthews, and customized by a London luthier.
AldoMcD1
Bonehead

Postby wastra » 02 Oct 2009, 19:20

Epiphone pickups are fine at lower volume or with lesser gain. If you really want a nice articulate sound when puished, replace the epi pickups. It's that simple. Epi pickups are...well...not so good. The Riviera has the same full-sized humbuckers as pretty much every other humbucker equipped epiphone out there. The bridge pickup is somewhat usable, the neck is crap.

Don't bother trying to get the mini humbuckers...they don't fit he guitar's routing with some sort of modification, and they're not necessary anyway.

My modified epiphone Dot SE (with GFS vintage '59 in the bridge and GFS Mean 90 pickup at the neck):

Modded Epiphone
wastra
Bonehead

PreviousNext

Return to The Gear