BOUGHT AN EPIPHONE RIVIERA....BUT!!!!!!!

Discuss the band's gear

Postby SuperNovaMike » 02 Oct 2009, 20:46

wastra wrote:Epiphone pickups are fine at lower volume or with lesser gain. If you really want a nice articulate sound when puished, replace the epi pickups. It's that simple. Epi pickups are...well...not so good. The Riviera has the same full-sized humbuckers as pretty much every other humbucker equipped epiphone out there. The bridge pickup is somewhat usable, the neck is crap.

Don't bother trying to get the mini humbuckers...they don't fit he guitar's routing with some sort of modification, and they're not necessary anyway.

My modified epiphone Dot SE (with GFS vintage '59 in the bridge and GFS Mean 90 pickup at the neck):

Modded Epiphone

interesting. I think I have seen that guitar before. I could be wrong, but it looks familiar for some reason. Do you post on another forum? Maybe the Epiphone one or something? Love that guitar by the way.
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby jordiegallagher » 03 Oct 2009, 09:33

AldoMcD1 wrote:The original Sheratons (Sheraton I) had a frequensator tailpiece with mini-humbuckers.
The newer version (Sheraton II) was later introduced with full size humbuckers & a stop-bar tailpiece.

There were some 60's Japanese versions which had a frequensator tailpiece & full-size humbuckers (G-Mex gig on Be here Now Tour + Knebworth).

With regards to the Riviera:
There were two models with a frequensator tailpiece (1 with mini-humbuckers, 1 with full size humbuckers).
I've seen a Riviera with full size humbuckers & a stop-bar tailpiece (Like RFender said, as used by Noel at Earl's Court & on Live By The Sea DVD.)
I've also seen 12-string Riviera's with a trapeze tailpiece (Mini-humbucker & full size humbucker versions).

Have a read through the Oasis gear guide:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/news/news ... ws_id/2472

Here's an extract:
Some might say it's a Epiphone Riviera, but they are wrong...the headstock gives the clue: it's a 60's Epiphone Sheraton alright. Unlike the new Sheratons, the 60s version looked very similar to the 60's (and to the most recent) Riviera, as both featured frequensator tailpiece and mini-humbuckers. It was a present from then girlfriend Meg Matthews, and customized by a London luthier.
the sheraton that noel played in 95,96,97,98 was actualy made by epiphone in 1995
jordiegallagher
Headshrinker

Postby kylef » 03 Oct 2009, 18:49

I have a Riviera, Ebony with frequensator and full size humbuckers. never had any problems with it, and ive recently fell bak in love with it.

The pots and selector switch can get scratchy, but a bit wd40 in there every now and again and your sorted.

Enjoy your guitar.
kylef
Bonehead

Postby wastra » 05 Oct 2009, 17:03

SuperNovaMike wrote:
wastra wrote:Epiphone pickups are fine at lower volume or with lesser gain. If you really want a nice articulate sound when puished, replace the epi pickups. It's that simple. Epi pickups are...well...not so good. The Riviera has the same full-sized humbuckers as pretty much every other humbucker equipped epiphone out there. The bridge pickup is somewhat usable, the neck is crap.

Don't bother trying to get the mini humbuckers...they don't fit he guitar's routing with some sort of modification, and they're not necessary anyway.

My modified epiphone Dot SE (with GFS vintage '59 in the bridge and GFS Mean 90 pickup at the neck):

Modded Epiphone

interesting. I think I have seen that guitar before. I could be wrong, but it looks familiar for some reason. Do you post on another forum? Maybe the Epiphone one or something? Love that guitar by the way.

Yup. I occassionally post on the epi forums.
wastra
Bonehead

Previous

Return to The Gear