Discuss the band's gear

Seymour duncan sustainer pick up

Postby clapton 94 » 18 Oct 2009, 19:20

Amazing pick ups

clapton 94
Bonehead

Postby SuperNovaMike » 19 Oct 2009, 03:31

If you're into Duncan pickups, this one is mega in the the bridge position of a Les Paul or similar style guitar.

Seymour Duncan SH-PG1 Pearly Gates Pickup

SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

If you're into Duncan pickups, this one is mega in the the bridge position of a Les Paul or similar style guitar.

SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby googs » 19 Oct 2009, 05:30

Do you guys have any experience changing pick-ups? I've been thinking about changing mine for ages. I've got the original Pickups that came with my Epiphone DOT and they sound like s**t. I've been wanting to change them, but I don't want to pay some shmuck a couple hundred bucks to do something I could probably do myself.

I've always figured I need to solder, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's probably a lot simpler than that. Any ideas?
googs
Bonehead

Postby clapton 94 » 19 Oct 2009, 15:38

googs wrote:Do you guys have any experience changing pick-ups? I've been thinking about changing mine for ages. I've got the original Pickups that came with my Epiphone DOT and they sound like s**t. I've been wanting to change them, but I don't want to pay some shmuck a couple hundred bucks to do something I could probably do myself.

I've always figured I need to solder, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's probably a lot simpler than that. Any ideas?

you have to solder the pick ups positive an negative to the pots and then to the jack i think...? not sure ive only seen what hapens i havent done them myself
clapton 94
Bonehead

Postby chewy515 » 21 Oct 2009, 15:44

couple hundred bucks? where you taking it??

dont change it yourself if you've got a dot and no experience of changing them. DO change them, but get a pro to do it.

its a hollow body guitar, so all the wires and everything has to come out of the little f holes. its very fiddly. its not like a les paul or an sg where theres a panel on the back you can take off.

dots may cost a little more to have their pups changed but $200 is stupidly expensive.
chewy515
Bonehead

Postby googs » 21 Oct 2009, 20:56

chewy515 wrote:couple hundred bucks? where you taking it??

dont change it yourself if you've got a dot and no experience of changing them. DO change them, but get a pro to do it.

its a hollow body guitar, so all the wires and everything has to come out of the little f holes. its very fiddly. its not like a les paul or an sg where theres a panel on the back you can take off.

dots may cost a little more to have their pups changed but $200 is stupidly expensive.

"A couple hundred bucks" was just an estimation on my part. I was going to do it a year and a half ago, but the guy I was going to have do it told me to save my money cos he finds it usually doesn't make much of a difference. He was the guitar tech for a a couple "bigger" bands (Ash being one of them) so I figured he probably knew what he was talking about. Once you factor in the cost of new pickups and the labour I'm sure you're looking at a few hundred dollars regardless.
googs
Bonehead

Return to The Gear