AMP: Marshall bluesbreaker, Vox AC30, Fender Blues??

Discuss the band's gear

Postby Rideway » 05 Jan 2010, 02:17

Hi everybody!

Ive got a laney vc30 modified (celestion g12 speaker, n.o.s. valves, master volume) and ill be selling it in order to buy another amplifier. I want a definitive one.

I want it to be as versatile as possible. Id like to be able to match the sound of oasis, kasabian,jet,travis,coldplay... and if possible (with a little help from my fx) something of rock or new punk.

I bet that the marshall bluesbreaker would be the best option for the more overdriven sounds, but what about the clean?

The fender blues jr might be too small for gigging (even with cabinet) and i have no clue how the fender blues deluxe (40w) is.

Which one would you choose if you could choose without looking the price -up to 1400€ new -900€ second hand- and only to find it a good sound and versatile.

Thank you very much! MADFERIT
Rideway
Bonehead

Postby Rfender » 05 Jan 2010, 06:59

The Fender Blues Junior to small for gigging?? Noel played Slane and Wembley with it without a cab just mic it up.
Fender Blues Junior is the perfect amp for the 08-09 Oasis sound. Cleans are also very good and it can also get nice overdriven sound at lower volumes (Bedroom even).
I never played the other ones , but i think a Marshall Bluesbreaker would be a good choice though i think you will have to crank it up pretty loud for tube overdrive.
Your budget is pretty high , you might also check Orange amps they have great cleans and a fat warm overdrive.
What kind of guitars and pedals do you use?
Rfender
Bonehead

The Fender Blues Junior to small for gigging?? Noel played Slane and Wembley with it without a cab just mic it up.
Fender Blues Junior is the perfect amp for the 08-09 Oasis sound. Cleans are also very good and it can also get nice overdriven sound at lower volumes (Bedroom even).
I never played the other ones , but i think a Marshall Bluesbreaker would be a good choice though i think you will have to crank it up pretty loud for tube overdrive.
Your budget is pretty high , you might also check Orange amps they have great cleans and a fat warm overdrive.
Rfender
Bonehead

Rfender
Bonehead

Postby wastra » 12 Jan 2010, 18:19

Well the Blues Jr and the Bluesbreaker are single channel amps. So if you want versatility, those aren't the way to go. They're GREAT for the tube overdriven sound, but they don't have separate clean and drive channels like the Vox AC30.
wastra
Bonehead

Postby thecardinal » 14 Jan 2010, 16:43

The blues breaker needs to be so load to get "that" sound that i wouldnt look at it. I would go for the Vox

It depends on what Vox you want a standard AC30 isnt better than the Fender but i think if you get the AC30 with Celestrian Blues!!!! wow lets just say i will never buy another amp!!!

Then only downside is its too loud why dont you get an AC15 its all you need! I play live all over the place and cart it with me and it fills anywhere i play on about a third master it is literally defning!!!!
thecardinal
Bonehead

Postby bondy1978 » 03 Feb 2010, 22:06

With regards to the Blues Junior being too small for gigging, I've gigged it without micing it whilst playing 50's/60/s rock n roll in a 3 piece band and it worked great.
However, I also tried it at rehearsals with my Oasis tribute act and it just wouldn't cut through with a 5 piece band. It seems that the difference in volume between 3 and 12 is not very different at all.

However, if you plan on micing it up then that solves the problem.
bondy1978
Bonehead

Postby McCarthySFC » 07 Feb 2010, 04:25

as of the dig out your soul tour, noel has been using a fender blues junior for clean tones, and as always the vox ac30 for the heavier sounds.
McCarthySFC
Bonehead

Postby Rfender » 07 Feb 2010, 09:43

McCarthySFC wrote:as of the dig out your soul tour, noel has been using a fender blues junior for clean tones, and as always the vox ac30 for the heavier sounds.

Noel didn't used any Vox on the DOYS tour. Gem did.
He used the Fender Blues Junior in combination with 3 hiwatt combo's (full tube guitar combo's 2x12 in vertical wich is quite rare , only 9 made i believe).
I dont think he uses the fender blues junior for cleans , since it is only 15 watt and using it in combination with humbucker guitars it will break up way to soon so i think he uses the FBJ for overdrive in combination with 1 or 2 of the hiwatts and uses the third hiwatt for cleans since the hiwatt is 100 watt.

Atleast thats my theory :)
Rfender
Bonehead

Postby jordiegallagher » 07 Feb 2010, 14:45

at the benicasim festival 2009 noel dodnt use any hiwatts. he used his vox ac50 head instead.
jordiegallagher
Headshrinker

Next

Return to The Gear