Making an "Epiphone ES355" - *completed photograph

Discuss the band's gear

Postby oasisfan24 » 31 Jul 2010, 23:07

SuperNovaMike wrote:Are you going to get a professional to install that Bigsby? It's not an easy job.

That guitar's gonna be cool as f**k when you get it finished.

Oh yeah, if you weren't already planning on it, you might want to change the black plastic nut to a white Graphtech one (or something similar). It makes a difference in the sound and well, it just looks right. I hate when Epiphone puts the black ones on their guitars. You won't see one on a Gibson.(Not that I am racist against guitar parts or anything.)

Oh don't worry I would only let the best of the best mess around with my favorite guitar. If I or any random person started drilling holes and removing major parts/rewiring for the pickups it probably wouldn't work anymore haha

I will have pictures of the work that was done up on Monday
and yes will most definitely be cool as f**k. I got a sneek peak already and i'm very pleased.

Yeah I looked into that originally but I felt a little sick when I thought about knocking out the nut from the guitar and replacing it. The white graphtech one (if thats the one on the Gibsons)they look really good. I do agree I hate that Epiphone puts on those black ones (don't worry im not racist either)
oasisfan24
Bonehead

Postby oasisfan24 » 01 Aug 2010, 00:01

S2B_Rocker wrote:how much did all this cost you and where can i find it

Well lets see

Epiphone Dot Cherry Red - 399US (499CND) (when the American Dollar was lower then the Canadian Dollar I just went across the border to Detroit and got it for ALOT cheaper hah!)

All Gold Bigsby B7 Vibrato - $179US I got this part off ebay and I was worried at first because the B7 (ALL GOLD) Bigsby was alot cheaper than any guitar shop near me (Long and Mcquade in Canada which is basically a Guitar Center if you live in the States quoted me for an All Gold Bigsby B7 $279CND!!). The huge price difference made me think it might was fake or something but I assure you its the real deal. You saw the pics it looks REALLY nice and is the same one installed on all Gibson ES 355's (- Noel's Guitar - for any who don't know)

http://[removed]/ALL-GOLD-Bigsby-USA ... 5d2a0a1c50
^thats the link to the dealer on ebay who sells them.
Ebay Sellers name: wl1990

Gold 3x3 Grover Tuners - $60CND
I didn't actually buy these I took them off my Epiphone Ej200 and swapped them with the silver ones from the dot the are the exact same Grover Tuners just ones gold and ones silver. I did however see the exact same Grover Tuners in the shop for 60CND and you can find all kinds on ebay.

Black with Gold Top Volume/Tone Knobs - $10US This was also off ebay...come to think of it pretty much all this stuff was off ebay (THANKS EBAY!!!:)

http://[removed]/Gibson-Bell-Hat-Kno ... 1c13927afe

Gold Bridge - $16US Ebay - Please make sure to get the right bridge!! the link im giving you is a seller and apicture of the right bridge.

NOTE* the big pins /pin holes that match with the Epiphone Dot bridge/bridge pins. Some other sellers have this brdge that looks the same but the pins are thinner and will not work for Epiphone guitars.

http://[removed]/GOLD-Tune-O-Matic-E ... 19b5d8173d

2 Gold Epiphone 57' Humbuckers - This was off ebay but warning I had problems with the only seller I saw on ebay for this item. I ordered the pick ups 3 months ago now and they sent me Epiphone pickups but they looked really bad. They we basically tarnished on the front and looked more black/silver then gold. Anyway I simply wrote them and complained and they sent me another set which are the ones I photographed. They look really good but it took just over almost two months.. Make sure if you order you are very specific in asking for quality gold pickups. I had them check it before they sent it to me because there was no way someone checked the ones I got first time around (that or they thought I wouldn't care)

http://[removed]/2-Gibson-Epiphone-H ... 335f594f80

This one below is another seller I just found but they only have one set of pickups.
http://[removed]/Gibson-Epiphone-57- ... 2c561a0059

ok im tired from writing all that and searching for that stuff but hopefully it helps you if your interested.

Pictures monday!!
oasisfan24
Bonehead

Postby S2B_Rocker » 01 Aug 2010, 14:01

oasisfan24 wrote:
S2B_Rocker wrote:how much did all this cost you and where can i find it

Well lets see

Epiphone Dot Cherry Red - 399US (499CND) (when the American Dollar was lower then the Canadian Dollar I just went across the border to Detroit and got it for ALOT cheaper hah!)

All Gold Bigsby B7 Vibrato - $179US I got this part off ebay and I was worried at first because the B7 (ALL GOLD) Bigsby was alot cheaper than any guitar shop near me (Long and Mcquade in Canada which is basically a Guitar Center if you live in the States quoted me for an All Gold Bigsby B7 $279CND!!). The huge price difference made me think it might was fake or something but I assure you its the real deal. You saw the pics it looks REALLY nice and is the same one installed on all Gibson ES 355's (- Noel's Guitar - for any who don't know)

http://[removed]/ALL-GOLD-Bigsby-USA ... 5d2a0a1c50
^thats the link to the dealer on ebay who sells them.
Ebay Sellers name: wl1990

Gold 3x3 Grover Tuners - $60CND
I didn't actually buy these I took them off my Epiphone Ej200 and swapped them with the silver ones from the dot the are the exact same Grover Tuners just ones gold and ones silver. I did however see the exact same Grover Tuners in the shop for 60CND and you can find all kinds on ebay.

Black with Gold Top Volume/Tone Knobs - $10US This was also off ebay...come to think of it pretty much all this stuff was off ebay (THANKS EBAY!!!:)

http://[removed]/Gibson-Bell-Hat-Kno ... 1c13927afe

Gold Bridge - $16US Ebay - Please make sure to get the right bridge!! the link im giving you is a seller and apicture of the right bridge.

NOTE* the big pins /pin holes that match with the Epiphone Dot bridge/bridge pins. Some other sellers have this brdge that looks the same but the pins are thinner and will not work for Epiphone guitars.

http://[removed]/GOLD-Tune-O-Matic-E ... 19b5d8173d

2 Gold Epiphone 57' Humbuckers - This was off ebay but warning I had problems with the only seller I saw on ebay for this item. I ordered the pick ups 3 months ago now and they sent me Epiphone pickups but they looked really bad. They we basically tarnished on the front and looked more black/silver then gold. Anyway I simply wrote them and complained and they sent me another set which are the ones I photographed. They look really good but it took just over almost two months.. Make sure if you order you are very specific in asking for quality gold pickups. I had them check it before they sent it to me because there was no way someone checked the ones I got first time around (that or they thought I wouldn't care)

http://[removed]/2-Gibson-Epiphone-H ... 335f594f80

This one below is another seller I just found but they only have one set of pickups.
http://[removed]/Gibson-Epiphone-57- ... 2c561a0059

ok im tired from writing all that and searching for that stuff but hopefully it helps you if your interested.

Pictures monday!!
thnaks dude
S2B_Rocker
Bonehead

Postby oasisfan24 » 01 Aug 2010, 17:39

The links are being dumb just copy the whole thing and close the space between the blue and the black writing and the link will work..if you haven't already that is. cheers
oasisfan24
Bonehead

Postby oasisfan24 » 02 Aug 2010, 23:19

^100 posts :O

Shes f**king electric if I don't say so myself. Turned out wayyy better then I pictured it. If Noel's 355 was the guitar that was smashed then may its spirit live forever in what I am calling my Epiphone ES355CM. I have never seen anyone try to do this before but i'm really happy with the final results. Let me know what you think
oasisfan24
Bonehead

Postby S2B_Rocker » 03 Aug 2010, 00:49

she really is a beauty
S2B_Rocker
Bonehead

Postby SuperNovaMike » 03 Aug 2010, 00:57

That looks great man. I love the "Custom Made" thing. I saw one of those on an old Gibson once. Don't stop upgrading though!! You've already done this much, you might as well get a gold input jack to match the other hardware, a Graphtech/Tusq nut, and get some cool custom truss rod cover to replace the "dot" one (or even a blank one).

I think it's cool as f**k that you did all of that. Now you have a one of a kind guitar and I think that's better than trying to get an exact copy of someone else's anyway.

btw, how much for all of the labor costs?
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby oasisfan24 » 03 Aug 2010, 06:14

When I first thought about doing this I was so against using a custom made plate. I said I would NEVER but I think it looks top, the whole thing. I have seen them as well on an old 355 here in Toronto, that kind of eased me into the idea also the fact that closing the holes from the tailpiece would be a ridiculous price (for it to be done well.)

The gold input jack was another thing, I saw it as required but when you see it up close it actually isn't bad and im pretty picky haha. Changing the nut is definitely going to happen, just not right now :) As for the dot truss rod cover I didn't think about that. The way I see it is I really want this to be one of a kind, and it is being the only Epiphone 355 I've seen, so to keep its roots I think I might leave the Dot plate on. It reminds me of the problems I encountered just to get the guitar and what I turned it into. People will look at it and say !!THIS was a DOT!%$@$#@%WTF and appreciate the work that was done more I think.

Labor costs? ahhh yes this was the biggest surprise for me. I went into this being told by a worried guitar tech that the price tag might be painful because of the amount of work and the unforeseeable problems given the style of guitar. For the pickups alone I was given a vague quote of 75-200CND :s in the end I got the whole guitar rebuilt for $130 and he did an amazing job. I thought I was going to be looking at $300ish a frightening figure when I think back. The bill says the bigsby installation was only $40 including removing the tailpiece completely and putting on the Custom Made plate. I paid my 130 and run out before they could charge more.

Thanks for the comments both of you I'm glad you like it. note* it did not cost $4000+ haha and I love that it represents Noel's 355 but at the same time it's still a first and its my own.
oasisfan24
Bonehead

Postby GuitarShadow » 03 Aug 2010, 09:00

That looks fuckin' awesome !!
If I had the money I would the the same with my Epiphone Dot ;)

Must sound awesome !
Can't you play us a little thing and post it here ? (:
GuitarShadow
Bonehead

Postby oasisfan24 » 03 Aug 2010, 21:38

Thanks!!!

Absolutely! any excuse to play guitar/use my dslr, All in good time :)
oasisfan24
Bonehead

PreviousNext

Return to The Gear