Can anybody recommend a decent bass guitar for a rookie?

Discuss the band's gear

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2010, 03:39

One that isnt very expensive either
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby SuperNovaMike » 21 Jun 2010, 04:18

First of all, you should have posted this in the gear section. Now to the point, if you are just getting started...Squire basses aren't too bad.They aren't too good either. They are endorsed by Fender but the get produced in China or somewhere. A lot of bass players come to the conclusion that they don't like it and quit. They make okay basses though. You get what you pay for, so keep that in mind.
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

First of all, you should have posted this in the gear section. Now to the point, if you are just getting started...Squire basses aren't too bad.They aren't too good either. They are endorsed by Fender but the get produced in China or somewhere. A lot of bass players come to the conclusion that they don't like it and quit. They make okay basses though. You get what you pay for, so keep that in mind.
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby SuperNovaMike » 21 Jun 2010, 04:24

This curra, this. it sounds amazing. :d
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2010, 05:57

SuperNovaMike wrote:This curra, this. it sounds amazing. :d

That is a pretty badass guitar, Robert from BRMC plays one of those. Arent those over $500?
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2010, 05:58

SuperNovaMike wrote:First of all, you should have posted this in the gear section. Now to the point, if you are just getting started...Squire basses aren't too bad.They aren't too good either. They are endorsed by Fender but the get produced in China or somewhere. A lot of bass players come to the conclusion that they don't like it and quit. They make okay basses though. You get what you pay for, so keep that in mind.

Not a big fan of squires. I borrowed my brothers friends Fender jazz bass and I didnt like the weight. I was thinkin more about a hollow body or even an SG. Know anything about SG basses?
Bigger Than The Beatles

Postby SuperNovaMike » 21 Jun 2010, 17:52

Yeah, that bass in the pic is about $700 I think. I actually have an Epiphone SG bass. I don't play bass very often, but I like to keep one around the house for when people come over to jam and stuff. It's pretty good I guess. The one I have has a short scale neck that is about the same size of a guitar neck so it's very lightweight. I think there are 2 different kinds of SG basses, one with a single pickup and one with 2. The Gibson ones are better than the Epiphones of course, but you would be looking at over $1,000 for one of those.

This is a good one:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com ... sku=518243
SuperNovaMike
Headshrinker

Postby googs » 23 Jun 2010, 22:07

Listen to SuperNovaMike. He knows what he's talking about.

There are two scales of Squire basses. Cheap and not quite as cheap. The cheap ones are s**t, the not-quite-as-cheap are actually pretty good. I've got one myself and I love it. Plays and sounds great for a $500 bass.

If you go with the SG make sure you get the long scale neck like in the link SuperNoveMike posted. They kick ass. Same with those Epiphone ones. Love it!
googs
Bonehead

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2010, 02:43

googs wrote:Listen to SuperNovaMike. He knows what he's talking about.

There are two scales of Squire basses. Cheap and not quite as cheap. The cheap ones are s**t, the not-quite-as-cheap are actually pretty good. I've got one myself and I love it. Plays and sounds great for a $500 bass.

If you go with the SG make sure you get the long scale neck like in the link SuperNoveMike posted. They kick ass. Same with those Epiphone ones. Love it!

I have an expensive Squire stratocaster and I hate it. I dont think I will ever get any Fender stuff again to be honest.
Bigger Than The Beatles

Next

Return to The Gear